I realize that I know next to nothing about good game design, but I want to build a good game. I say "next to nothing," because I started researching immediately, almost 3 weeks ago, to determine what I didn't know. I have since read about 30-35 articles on game design, and listened to about 50 hours of podcasts on the topic. My main resources have been this page, and the podcasts, the Board Game Design Lab, and The Game Design Round Table.
I have the basic Idea in my mind, and have from the instant it hit me on July 4th. I'm going to build a deck-builder. And it's going to be called 'Murica (as long as that isn't trademarked by the time I'm ready to roll something out there). And it's going to be awesome. Of course.
At this point, my goal is to have an accessible co-op deck-builder that kids, grandparents, and even frat boys could play and enjoy, with simple rules and a simple rule book, but enough depth to still be engaging for you when you're teaching it to a new play group for the 8th time. I know, I know, I'm not asking much, just trying to make the next Ticket to Ride.
Right now my ideas about everything else are a little too nebulous to want to put down here, since they'll change so much before I even start to make a playable prototype it probably won't even seem like the same game. I'll just put down what I'm going to go for, at this point: a single "currency" in the deck. No "recruit points" or "influence" to weigh against "attack" or "power". You use the same currency, "Freedom points", to buy new cards or to defeat the enemy, and possibly even heal yourself. But all that has to be worked out and tested before I try to explain how I theoretically hope to make it all work together in game.
Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment